Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)
Date: 2012-04-27 18:29:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Alvaro Herrera
>> It occurs to me that we may need a new mode, which disconnects sessions
>> that are not in a transaction (or as soon as they are) but leaves
>> in-progress transactions alone; this could be the new default. Of
>> course, this is much more difficult to implement than the current modes.

> This idea appeared to have some support. I'd like to suggest that we
> take this a step further. Instead of adding a fourth mode, I'd like
> to suggest that we redefine "smart" to have the behavior described
> above.

No, I'm not happy with that. Smart shutdown is defined to not affect
current sessions. I'm fine with having a fourth mode that acts as you
suggest (and, probably, even with making it the default); but not with
taking away a behavior that people may well be relying on.

> This is based on the theory that (1) people who like smart
> shutdown like it because it allows currently-running transactions to
> complete without error,

I think they like it because it allows currently-running *sessions*
to complete without error. You have no real basis for asserting that
relocating that goalpost won't change the game.