Re: BUG #1993: Adding/subtracting negative time intervals

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1993: Adding/subtracting negative time intervals
Date: 2005-10-26 05:56:01
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-hackers
John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> writes:
> heh.  as an aside...  the original reason I got ON this and the jdbc
> list was due to an issue we had with an inhouse java+pgsql program when
> it was deployed in Singapore...  SGT wasn't recognized, then I
> discovered that China (another later deployment location) uses CST which
> collides with Central Standard Time and convinced the developers they
> HAD to use numeric times.

Yeah, that is a bee in my bonnet too.  We fixed a bunch of issues around
SET TIMEZONE by adopting the zic code, but there's still a hardwired
list of timezone names (or more accurately, GMT-offset names) embedded
in datetime.c for purposes of parsing datetime input strings.  We need
to make that list user-configurable.  The existing "australian_timezones"
setting is just a half-baked attempt at that.

> TIMEZONES SUCK!

Sir Arthur Clarke (he who invented the idea of geosynchronous
communications satellites) has written of a far future where everyone
on earth thinks in UTC time.  Works for me ;-) but I don't suppose the
Postgres codebase will live that long.