Re: Bypassing authentication

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andre Majorel <aym-2lqsgp(at)teaser(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bypassing authentication
Date: 2010-07-08 20:42:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

Andre Majorel <aym-2lqsgp(at)teaser(dot)fr> writes:
> Is there a way to have psql bypass authentication as joe if the
> system user running psql is postgres, the way su doesn't ask for
> password if you are root ?

Not per se, but you could set up an ident map that says postgres
is allowed to log in as joe (and anybody else he needs to log in as).

I think 9.0 will have some wildcard ability in ident maps, which'd
save you from having to list a lot of roles in the map; but IIRC
there is none in existing releases.