Re: CommitFest status/management

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CommitFest status/management
Date: 2009-12-01 14:42:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> If we went with Bruce's interpretation, we could have a "committer"
> field that only appears when the status is "Claimed by Committer" or
> "Committed" and the contents of that field could be displayed in
> parentheses in the status column, like this: Claimed by Committer (Tom
> Lane).

> If we went with Andrew's interpretation, we would need a completely
> separate column, because there wouldn't be any logical relationship
> between the status field and the committer field.

> Any other votes?  Tom?

I'm happy with Andrew's interpretation --- I just want a separate text
field for inserting a committer's name.  I don't want any magic behavior
of that field.

> On a possibly related note, I am not totally sure that we want to
> enshrine the principle that committers categorically won't touch
> patches that are not yet marked Ready for Committer.

No, but I think that should be the default assumption once a reviewer
has been assigned.  If the reviewer doesn't totally fall down on the
job, he/she should be allowed to finish reviewing.