RE: New PostgreSQL binary distro for Windows NT

From: Horák Daniel <horak(at)sit(dot)plzen-city(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: New PostgreSQL binary distro for Windows NT
Date: 2000-10-16 15:28:00
Lists: pgsql-ports

> I'll try it again, using a different approach.
>
> This distribution allows you to run postmaster as a service
> under Win NT,
> and was tested
> on two completely different machines. It uses the cygwin
> setup schema to
> install, so
> it also supports easy installation for users that have cygwin already
> installed.
>
> Download the README and distribution from
> ftp://129.247.96.142/PostgresNT.

Do you have some automated mechanism to build the distribution archive? I
think this archive could be the standard distribution.

But as Yutaka Tanida noticed two weeks ago there are problems with Cygwin
1.1.4. So we should try to solve this too. Maybe we can test the development
snapshot of cygwin1.dll.

I have tried to run the latest version in CVS - with small updates it
compiles and runs the regression test well (only the horology test is
failing - this is a known problem with cygwin).

The changes were:
- make install moves dlls into bin and not lib (you need to have only
pgsql/bin in PATH)
- ifdefs around sys_nerr
- exported symbol TransactionCommandContext (required by plpgsql)
- use AF_UNIX sockets - it compiles but didn't work on my machine (the
special file (similar to symlink in cygwin) created by cygwin was corrupted)
- delete the results for float8 test as they are the same as
float8-small-is-zero

all the changes above do not degrade the function of pgsql, but the
following does:
- because there is not strtoull function in cygwin the support for "long
long" type in ECPG (ecpg/lib/data.c) has to be disabled, we will have to
include some implementation into src/port and link it with ecpg?

To Jason Tishler - I think would be a good idea to make postmaster a service
(like inetd), but the ipc-daemon is also a candidate.

Dan