Re: Binary installer

From: "Jochem van Dieten" <jochemd(at)oli(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
To: <stibbett(at)zim(dot)biz>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Binary installer
Date: 2004-01-23 14:37:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Steve Tibbett said:
> Gotta disagree with you there.. a good Windows app won't use the
> environment at all.  Take a look at the environment of a typical
> Windows server - the various services don't have any environment
> variables related to them, it's all in the registry.

I agree. Environment means you can't readily set PostgreSQL to run
under a different user account because the environment is user
specific.

> Writing something into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PostgreSQL that
> says where Postgres is installed would be reasonable.. at startup
> the Win32 code could simply read that variable from the registry and
> set it into the environment so the rest of postgres can depend on it
> being in the environment.

I am not particular font of the registry either, gets messy quickly
when you want to run different instances and setting permissions in
the registry is no fun either (IMHO).

Why not instead of looking in the registry for the location pass it
over the command line? Then load from there and set up the
user-specific environment.

Jochem