Re: Vote totals for SET in aborted transaction

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote totals for SET in aborted transaction
Date: 2002-04-29 16:20:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:
> Rather than dismissing this out of hand, try to look at what it *does*
> enable. It allows developers to tune specific queries without having to
> restore values afterwards. Values or settings which may change from
> version to version, so end up embedding time bombs into applications.

I think it's a great idea. I just want it to be a different syntax from
the existing SET, so as not to break existing applications that expect
SET to be persistent. It seems to me that marking such a command with
a new syntax is reasonable from a user-friendliness point of view too:
if you write "LOCAL SET foo" or some similar syntax, it is obvious to
every onlooker what your intentions are. If we redefine "SET" to have
context-dependent semantics, I think we are just creating a recipe for
confusion.