Re: A problem with dump/restore of views containing whole row references

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Abbas Butt <abbas(dot)butt(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A problem with dump/restore of views containing whole row references
Date: 2012-04-27 18:21:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Right, what I'm asking is whether or not we actually want that side
> effect in all cases, and specifically in this case where it's clearly
> not necessary.

We could dodge that case by only changing the behavior when showstar is
false; there is no need to change it otherwise. The patch has assorted
other bugs too, in particular its schema-name treatment seems completely
wrong (hint: RelationIsVisible is not the same as TypeIsVisible, and
it's at best shaky to assume that a relation's name is the same as its
rowtype's name anyway).

More generally, it seems rather inelegant to be forcibly adding a cast
when in most cases the existing notation is not wrong. AFAICS the
plain "relname" notation is only ambiguous if there is a column of the
same name as the relation. I wonder whether we should instead address
this by not letting the parser strip the "no op" cast in the first
place.