Re: Trigger question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>,Harald Fuchs <hf99(at)protecting(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trigger question
Date: 2004-01-20 16:02:29
Lists: pgsql-performance
Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> On Tuesday 20 January 2004 00:01, Neil Conway wrote:
>> Yeah, I didn't get around to implementing that. If anyone wants this
>> feature, I'd encourage them to step up to the plate -- I'm not sure
>> when I'll get the opportunity/motivation to implement this myself.

> I didn't think they'd be meaningful for a statement-level trigger. Surely
> OLD/NEW are by definition row-level details.

According to the complainants, OLD/NEW are commonly available as
recordsets (tables) inside a statement trigger.  I'm not very clear on
how that works myself --- in particular, one would think it important to
be able to work with corresponding pairs of OLD and NEW rows, which
would be painful with a table-like abstraction.  Can anyone explain
exactly how it's done in, say, Oracle?