Re: Clearing global statistics

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clearing global statistics
Date: 2010-01-14 16:01:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no> writes:
> Is there any chance of implementing a way of knowing when was the last
> time statistics delivered via pg_stat_* were reset?

Actually, that brings up a more general question: what's with the
enthusiasm for clearing statistics *at all*?  ISTM that's something
you should do only in dire emergencies, like the collector went
haywire and has now got a bunch of garbage numbers.  The notion of
resetting subsets of the stats seems even more dubious, because now
you have numbers that aren't mutually comparable.  So I fail to
understand why the desire to expend valuable development time on
any of this.