Re: BUG #2516: group privs do not seem to be honored

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Sam Howard" <sam(dot)howard(at)gmxtechnologies(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2516: group privs do not seem to be honored
Date: 2006-07-14 01:08:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Sam Howard" <sam(dot)howard(at)gmxtechnologies(dot)com> writes:
> Trying to implement user level access and security, and am finding
> unexpected behavior with respect to group roles.

I believe the problem is here:

> CREATE ROLE appuser LOGIN
> ENCRYPTED PASSWORD 'mdblahblahblah'
> NOSUPERUSER NOINHERIT NOCREATEDB NOCREATEROLE;
^^^^^^^^^
> GRANT db_group TO appuser;

The behavior you're expecting requires appuser to be marked INHERIT.
As the CREATE ROLE man page explains:

A role with the INHERIT attribute can automatically use whatever
database privileges have been granted to all roles it is
directly or indirectly a member of. Without INHERIT, membership
in another role only grants the ability to SET ROLE to that
other role; the privileges of the other role are only available
after having done so. If not specified, INHERIT is the default.

regards, tom lane

PS: Sorry for belated response, but I and most of the other developers
have been off at a conference ...