Re: BUG #5974: UNION construct type cast gives poor error message

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Jeff Wu" <jwu(at)atlassian(dot)com>, "Mike Fowler" <mike(at)mlfowler(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5974: UNION construct type cast gives poor error message
Date: 2011-04-21 16:06:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> Jeff Wu <jwu(at)atlassian(dot)com> wrote:
>> what needs to happen to get this fix in?

> Well, "fix" implies that there is a bug, which there isn't.

I think what Jeff was actually suggesting was that we commit the
proposed added HINT.  I didn't like the hint patch at all --- as given,
the hint would be emitted in a lot of cases where it'd be irrelevant and
just plain distracting --- but it might be possible to develop an
improved version that would be committable in the 9.1 timeframe.

> If there are no objections I'll add this to the TODO Wiki page with
> a reference to Tom's description of how it should be implemented.

I think there might be something related there already, but if not,
feel free to add it.