Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)
Date: 2010-09-03 16:10:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> [ shrug... ] I stated before that the Hot Standby patch is doing
>> utterly unsafe things in signal handlers. Simon rejected that.
>> I am waiting for irrefutable evidence to emerge from the field
>> (and am very confident that it will be forthcoming...) before
>> I argue with him further. Meanwhile, I'm not going to accept anything
>> unsafe in a core facility like this patch is going to be.

> Oh.  I thought you had ignored his objections and fixed it.  Why are
> we releasing 9.0 with this problem again?  Surely this is nuts.

My original review of hot standby found about half a dozen things
I thought were broken:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-05/msg00178.php
After a *very* long-drawn-out fight I fixed one of them
(max_standby_delay), largely still over Simon's objections.  I don't
have the energy to repeat that another half-dozen times, so I'm going
to wait for the suspected problems to be proven by field experience.