SQL update statements are dying in the query planner

From: "Panon, Paul-Andre" <Paul-AndrePanon(at)SierraSystems(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SQL update statements are dying in the query planner
Date: 2001-05-24 00:03:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name :
Your email address :

System Configuration
---------------------
Architecture (example: Intel Pentium) : Intel Pentium Pro

Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF) :Mandrake Linux 7.2 Kernel
2.2.17-21mdksmp

PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.1.1): PostgreSQL-7.1.1

Compiler used (example: gcc 2.95.2) :gcc version 2.95.3 19991030
(prerelease)

SQL update statements are dying in the query planner. A copy of the -d3
postgres log is attached. The error returned by psql when submitting this
query is
ERROR: Relation 2699531655 does not exist
however a very similar statement was successfully executed shortly before
the failing statement.

I am using a custom GUID/UUID data type extension similar to the MS SQL
Server uniqueidentifier data type. I used the varbits type in the contrib
directory as a template, as well as the FreeDCE library to generate new
UUIDs. I would be happy to contribute this code if anybody is interested.
With the new ODBC driver working towards ODBC 3.0 level support, there may
be more interest in having GUID support in PostgreSQL. Although I can't rule
out that the UUID data type may be at fault, it does work correctly under
7.0.2 .

Unfortunately I cannot provide a copy of the data beyond what is in the
actual SQL statement, though I could probably provide a copy of the schema
for the relevant SQL tables if it would help.

Perhaps this may be related to another bug that Tom Lane describes as:
The direct cause of the problem is that EvalPlanQual isn't completely
initializing the estate that it sets up for re-evaluating the plan. In
particular it's not filling in es_result_relations and
es_num_result_relations, which need to be set up if the top plan node is an
Append.
since psql refers to a vary large relation oid in its error message? It
looks like the query is crashing after the query parsing is completed. -d4
doesn't seem to provide additional useful information regarding the Query
Processing and where it is breaking. If there are any additional flags at
compile or run time that I can set to provide more useful information,
please let me know.

<<postgresql.log>>

Paul-Andre Panon
Sierra Systems
1177 West Hastings Street, Suite 2500
Vancouver, BC V6E 2K3
Main: 604.688.1371
Fax: 604.688.6482
www.SierraSystems.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgresql.log application/octet-stream 86.6 KB