Re: Proposal for supporting outer joins in 7.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for supporting outer joins in 7.1
Date: 2000-08-27 15:38:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
>> SELECT ... FROM (a cross join b) cross join c
> I'm not sure whether the above is the syntax you plan to use, but it looks
> a little too much like:
> SELECT ... FROM (select * from a cross join b) as z cross join c
> which has a quite different meaning to any kind of outer join,

Huh? AFAIK they mean exactly the same thing, modulo a few issues about
visibility of columns. In any case you'll have to take your complaint
to ISO, because that's what the spec says the syntaxes are.

> I don;t think that support for this kind of query is implemented,

Not yet, but it's certainly on the TODO list. I'm not seriously
thinking about getting subselect-in-FROM done in this go-round,
though.