Re: pg_autovacuum: short, wide tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: mark reid <mail(at)markreid(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org,Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum: short, wide tables
Date: 2005-07-08 17:00:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net> writes:
> Shouldn't the update to the toast table just be considered an update to
> table t1?  The fact that there is an underlying  toast table is an
> implementation detail that I don't think should show up in the stats system.

At the level of the stats system, though, you are interested in
"implementation details".  The fact that there is such a concept as an
index is an implementation detail according to the SQL standard --- but
if we hid that we wouldn't be able to show things that people want to
know.

In particular, I think people would like to be able to use the stats
views to see how much toast-related I/O is going on, and not have that
smushed together with main-table I/O.