Re: Stuck cvs lock on anoncvs repository

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stuck cvs lock on anoncvs repository
Date: 2009-06-28 02:09:59
Lists: pgsql-www
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Marc G. Fournier<scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> wrote:
>> More often then when ppl commit? What would be the point to that?

> Well, the whole point of using rsync is that it only copies what has
> changed, so there is very little overhead involved in running it when
> nothing has changed.

This is kind of missing the point, which is that we are talking about
blowing away lockfiles.  Having that happen frequently and automatically
doesn't sound like a particularly good idea.

One thing I'm wondering is why cvs is taking out locks at all, since
it's certainly not committing to the repository.  I guess even a "cvs
update" locks things momentarily, but can we prevent that?