Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-06-30 19:10:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> One thing Peter forgot to mention here is that the next-to-last
> commitfest is the *last* commitfest for new major features.  For the
> *last* commitfest, any patch introduced either has to be a resubmission
> of something we've seen at a prior CF, or has to be very "small" (i.e.
> not many lines/files, no side effects, no API or defined standard API).

We've been kicking around variations of that idea already.

As I mentioned in the core discussion, I'm a bit concerned that this
would have the effect of choking off development too soon.  We could
have a situation where nothing major is supposed to be getting worked
on from Nov 15 to mid-May, which seems much too long.  So "very small"
seems too strict.  Robert's suggestion of a 1000-line cutoff might be
workable though.