Re: Released updated Tcl interfaces: pgin.tcl-2.1.0,

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: L J Bayuk <ljb220(at)mindspring(dot)com>,pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Released updated Tcl interfaces: pgin.tcl-2.1.0,
Date: 2004-06-22 23:08:56
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
"Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> However, since making some changes to my code I've not had time to do the
> investigation so I just thought I'd ask if there's been any reports on the
> relative speed of normal sql execution against prepared statements.

You can lose if the prepared statements are parameterized in such a way
that the planner can't see critical information.  This has been hashed
over many a time in the pgsql-performance archives (though mostly in the
context of queries in plpgsql functions).  Try EXPLAIN EXECUTE and see
if you get a materially different plan than with the straight query.