Re: Anonymous contributions WAS: PostgreSQL derivatives

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "info(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com" <info(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Anonymous contributions WAS: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date: 2008-06-13 19:09:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 13 Jun 2008, at 19:43, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>

> "The" Developer meeting was sponsored by EnterpriseDB.

In which case it was my bad, as that was my wording. It was never
suggested by EnterpriseDB management that we should be credited - that
was simply me being upfront about who was paying.

> Of course the question is: Was that meeting an actual PostgreSQL.Org
> sanctioned meeting, or was it just Dave at the behest and support of
> his
> employer organizing a bunch of developers for a meeting. Those are two
> very different things.

We have had meetings with community members in the past. After I
started a discussion about holding another, Denis & I agreed an event
at pgCon would be far more useful for everyone. I was given permission
to fund the event, and went ahead with the organisation. I kept
various people in the loop on what I was doing, but did nothing at the
behest of management.

> Consider that PGCON is a commercial conference. I think it would have
> really been up to Dan to determine whether or not that sponsorship was
> appropriate, not PostgreSQL.Org.

Not really - it was in Ottawa, during pgCon, but not at pgCon.

That said, Dan's help with the arrangements was invaluable and I
remain in debt to him.