Re: Anonymous contributions WAS: PostgreSQL derivatives

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "info(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com" <info(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Anonymous contributions WAS: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date: 2008-06-13 19:09:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 13 Jun 2008, at 19:43, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
wrote:

> "The" PostgreSQL.org Developer meeting was sponsored by EnterpriseDB.

In which case it was my bad, as that was my wording. It was never
suggested by EnterpriseDB management that we should be credited - that
was simply me being upfront about who was paying.

> Of course the question is: Was that meeting an actual PostgreSQL.Org
> sanctioned meeting, or was it just Dave at the behest and support of
> his
> employer organizing a bunch of developers for a meeting. Those are two
> very different things.

We have had meetings with community members in the past. After I
started a discussion about holding another, Denis & I agreed an event
at pgCon would be far more useful for everyone. I was given permission
to fund the event, and went ahead with the organisation. I kept
various people in the loop on what I was doing, but did nothing at the
behest of management.

> Consider that PGCON is a commercial conference. I think it would have
> really been up to Dan to determine whether or not that sponsorship was
> appropriate, not PostgreSQL.Org.

Not really - it was in Ottawa, during pgCon, but not at pgCon.

That said, Dan's help with the arrangements was invaluable and I
remain in debt to him.

/D