Re: Index build temp files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index build temp files
Date: 2013-01-09 21:21:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On 9 January 2013 20:53, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
>> * Simon Riggs (simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com) wrote:
>>> I think we need to allow a TEMP permission on tablespaces, so that you
>>> aren't allowed to create normal objects but you can create TEMP
>>> objects and sort files there.

>> I agree that this would be valuable.  Would we end up needing to burn
>> another bit off the aclmask though?  That's certainly been a concern in
>> the past and I don't recall that we ever improved that situation.

> There already is a TEMP permission, it just only applies to databases
> at present.

This sounds like rather a lot of work to create a behavior that doesn't
solve the originally-complained-of usability problem.  All it does is
make things even more complicated, and add an extra step for the DBA
who's just trying to set temp_tablespaces to something useful.

(Or are you proposing that we'd grant TEMP permission to PUBLIC by
default?  We'd have compatibility issues with how to interpret the
grants in existing dump files if we do that.)