Re: pgplpsql and the command line

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Doug Boyd" <dboyd(at)raineandhorne(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgplpsql and the command line
Date: 2004-02-07 20:51:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Doug Boyd" <dboyd(at)raineandhorne(dot)com> writes:
> I'm running Postgresql 7.4.1 and pgplsql as a procedural language. I
> want to call a java class from the command line inside a pgplsql
> function and am not sure how to do it.

You can't. Allowing access to command-line operations would be a
security risk, and plpgsql doesn't provide it.

You could do this in one of the "untrusted" PLs, such as plperlu.
Note that the java program would execute as the database user (eg,
"postgres"), not as the client user as psql's \! would do.