Re: [REVIEW] prepare plans of embedded sql on function start

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
Cc: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: [REVIEW] prepare plans of embedded sql on function start
Date: 2011-09-10 22:59:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org> writes:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 01:21, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I'm not that happy with overloading the ANALYZE keyword to mean this
>> But we could certainly use some other name --- I'm
>> inclined to suggest CHECK:
>>        CHECK FUNCTION function_name(arglist);

> Just a thought: pg_check_function(oid)?

>> People would want some sort of wild card capability; at the very least
>> "check all plpgsql functions owned by me".

> SELECT pg_check_function(p.oid) FROM pg_proc p
> JOIN pg_user ON (usesysid=proowner) WHERE usename=current_user;

Hmm, there's something in what you say --- it gets us out from under the
need to anticipate what wildcard rules people would want.  I think it
loses something in ease-of-use, but we could have the utility command
too for the simple check-one-function case, and direct people to the
function as soon as they want something fancier.

What about check-strength options?