Re: connect from network PC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Robert Morgan" <robert_(at)ihug(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: connect from network PC
Date: 2004-03-19 14:57:53
Lists: pgsql-novice
"Robert Morgan" <robert_(at)ihug(dot)co(dot)nz> writes:
> Hi I have Postgres installed on a PC running RH9 which is networked to my o=
> ther (win2k) PC. I have created a couple of DB's and want to connect to the=
> m from my win2k PC using DBTools however I get this error message:

> onnection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
>  Is the server running on host 192.168.0.1 and accepting  TCP/IP connection=
> s on port 5432?

Did you tell Postgres to accept network connections?  (-i switch on
postmaster command line, or set tcpip_socket true in postgresql.conf;
note you must restart postmaster to make this change effective.)  Keep
in mind also that you will need to change pg_hba.conf to allow such
connections, but it sounds right now like the postmaster isn't listening
on the TCP socket at all.