Custom Fields Database Architecture

From: Gnanam <gnanam(at)zoniac(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Custom Fields Database Architecture
Date: 2009-06-15 13:04:25
Lists: pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm designing a database schema in which I should allow user to create
custom fields at the application level.  My application is a web-based
system and it has multiple companies in a  single database.  So this means
that each company can create their own custom fields.  A  custom field
created in a company should not be visibile to the other company.  Also, we
don't want to restrict the number of fields allowed to create.

I also read some article which talks about the type of patterns:
1. Meta-database
2. Mutating
3. Fixed
4. LOB

My question here is, what is the best approach to define the architecture
for custom fields. Performance should not be compromised.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Gnanam.