Re: Ref: BUG#1321: SSL error: sslv3 alert handshake failure

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: vishal saberwal <vishalsaberwal(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ref: BUG#1321: SSL error: sslv3 alert handshake failure
Date: 2005-08-25 04:18:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs
vishal saberwal <vishalsaberwal(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Guess i can stay on 8.0.1 until we get 8.0.4 ... (is it right for me
> to ask what data-loss you are talking about) ...

Yeah, they're all documented in the pgsql-committers archives.
Let's see...

	* src/: backend/access/heap/heapam.c, backend/commands/async.c,
	backend/commands/trigger.c, backend/commands/vacuum.c,
	backend/executor/execMain.c, backend/utils/time/tqual.c,
	include/access/heapam.h, include/access/htup.h,
	include/executor/executor.h, include/utils/tqual.h: Repair problems
	with VACUUM destroying t_ctid chains too soon, and with
	insufficient paranoia in code that follows t_ctid links.  (We must
	do both because even with VACUUM doing it properly, the
	intermediate state with a dangling t_ctid link is visible
	concurrently during lazy VACUUM, and could be seen afterwards if
	either type of VACUUM crashes partway through.) Also try to improve
	documentation about what's going on.  Patch is a bit bulky because
	passing the XMAX information around required changing the APIs of
	some low-level heapam.c routines, but it's not conceptually very
	complicated.  Per trouble report from Teodor and subsequent
	analysis.  This needs to be back-patched, but I'll do that after
	8.1 beta is out.

	* doc/src/sgml/backup.sgml, src/backend/commands/dbcommands.c
	(REL8_0_STABLE), doc/src/sgml/backup.sgml,
	src/backend/commands/dbcommands.c: Force a checkpoint before
	committing a CREATE DATABASE command.  This should fix the recent
	reports of "index is not a btree" failures, as well as preventing a
	more obscure race condition involving changes to a template
	database just after copying it with CREATE DATABASE.

	* src/backend/access/transam/: xlog.c (REL7_3_STABLE), xlog.c
	(REL7_4_STABLE), xlog.c (REL7_2_STABLE), xlog.c (REL8_0_STABLE),
	xlog.c: Add test to WAL replay to verify that xl_prev points back
	to the previous WAL record; this is necessary to be sure we
	recognize stale WAL records when a WAL page was only partially
	written during a system crash.

I seem to recall another one, but am not seeing it in the logs right
now.  There are also the usual quota of plain old crashing bugs.