Re: libpq: how to get a sequence of partial PGresult-s

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Igor Shevchenko <igor(at)carcass(dot)ath(dot)cx>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq: how to get a sequence of partial PGresult-s
Date: 2003-09-23 22:27:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Igor Shevchenko <igor(at)carcass(dot)ath(dot)cx> writes:
> Is there any way to get/process this partial PGresult in my
> app ? I haven't found any API function for this, so I thought about an
> additional function for the libpq's API -
> PGresult* PQgetNextResult ( PGconn* conn );

I think this is a really bad idea, because it destroys libpq's basic
concept that you get either success or failure for a command. Peeking
at a partially-arrived result might give you back some rows only to get
an error later (since the backend may fail partway through a query).

I'm not sure that the partially constructed result is valid anyway;
the last row may be in a funny state. And what happens if the
application does a PQclear() on it??