Re: erroneous restore into pg_catalog schema

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: erroneous restore into pg_catalog schema
Date: 2013-01-14 17:28:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The attached patch seems to work:

> alvherre=# create table pg_catalog.foo (a int);
> ERROR: permission denied for schema pg_catalog

> I notice that contrib/adminpack now fails, though (why doesn't this
> module have a regression test?):

> alvherre=# create extension adminpack;
> ERROR: permission denied for schema pg_catalog

Um. I knew that that module's desire to shove stuff into pg_catalog
would bite us someday. But now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure
I recall discussions to the effect that there are other third-party
modules doing similar things.

Anyway, this seems to answer Robert's original question about why
relations were special-cased: there are too many special cases around
this behavior. I think we should seriously consider just reverting
a475c6036.