Re: Disable and enable of table and column constraints

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disable and enable of table and column constraints
Date: 2009-09-10 15:06:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info> writes:
> With the ALTER TABLE DISABLE TRIGGER functionality added in 8.3, we
> already have the ability to do this with foreign key constraints.

That "feature" is a crock that should not be extended, because it
leaves it entirely on the user's shoulders whether the constraint
is actually true when the system thinks it is. What is being discussed
here is ways to incrementally add real, proven-valid constraints.

(Indeed, given the thought that's being given to having the planner
assume that FK constraints hold, I rather think that we need to
reconsider ALTER DISABLE TRIGGER.)