Re: [HACKERS] Seeking Mentors for Funded Reviewers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Seeking Mentors for Funded Reviewers
Date: 2011-01-26 19:49:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
> I think M. Fetter is completely wrong. If people are rethinking
> whether they should volunteer based on whether other people are being
> funded for their time to review patches, we don't want such people
> around anyway. Let them leave.

I can see his concern though: we have to be very careful to avoid
establishing perverse incentives.

The larger picture is that quite a few people are paid to work on
Postgres already --- me, for instance. That doesn't seem to have
discouraged other people from working on it on their own time. But
I'm not paid according to how many bugs I find, and wouldn't want
to be.

I don't have a problem with funding people to work on Postgres.
We just have to be careful that the grants aren't set up in a way
that might encourage people to game the system.

I'm also not sure that "review a patch" is a well-chosen specific goal
to have here, especially not for people who've not been around the
project at all. It's hard enough for people who *do* have a lot of
context to do useful reviews.