Re: [DOCS] Remove name as valid parameter for catalog functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Remove name as valid parameter for catalog functions
Date: 2011-03-07 15:19:00
Lists: pgadmin-hackerspgsql-docs
Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> writes:
> Patch attached which corrects the docs where catalog functions no
> longer accept values of type name.  Originally a note submitted by
> someone on the docs, but this affects more than just the one they
> mentioned.

The reason those are phrased as "OID or name" is that what they take is
regclass, which means that things like pg_total_relation_size('table_name')
do in fact work.  I think the proposed wording would leave people with
the idea that they had to supply a numeric OID, which is a PITA and not
by any means the expected usage.  I agree that maybe the original
wording could use some improvement, but I don't think that just removing
"or name" is an improvement.