Re: log_min_duration_statement units

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: log_min_duration_statement units
Date: 2009-04-07 22:43:59
Lists: pgsql-docs
> Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
>> My English is not as good as yours but here is another try. Personally, I
>> prefer the second one but...

> Great, I used your second version.  I had already done some of the ones
> you found, but you had many more.  I also used your "0 disables" wording
> consistently in the file.  Thanks for the help.  Committed.

You know, it suddenly strikes me that this is going in largely the wrong
direction.  Wasn't a key part of the reasoning for the GUC units support
to *eliminate* the need for people to know what the underlying
variable's unit is?  I certainly think that putting the unit info into
the text descriptions is a seriously bad idea.  It makes an already
overly wide view even wider, and the information is 100% redundant with
the "unit" column of the pg_settings view.