Re: scheduler in core

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: scheduler in core
Date: 2010-02-20 23:19:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com> writes:
> Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
>> Why not just use pgAgent? It's far more flexible than the design
>> you've suggested, and already exists.

> What would it take to have it included in core,

I don't think this really makes sense. There's basically no argument
for having it in core other than "I'm too lazy to install a separate
package". Unlike the case for autovacuum, there isn't anything an
in-core implementation could do that an external one doesn't do as well
or better. So I'm not eager to take on additional maintenance burden
for such a thing.