Re: psqlODBC 08.02.0300 doesn't compile

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: psqlODBC 08.02.0300 doesn't compile
Date: 2007-04-25 16:20:07
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hm, so you're pulling those macros directly from the underlying Postgres
>> installation? I didn't think they got installed anywhere --- I could do
>> the same if they are, but not if running aclocal requires access to a
>> Postgres source tree.

> No, it's built in a pre-configured source tree under src/interfaces. See
> http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/psqlodbc/psqlodbc/docs/unix-compilation.html?rev=1.4
> - the 'Building a distribution' section is the set of instructions that
> Peter wrote.

Well, this is exactly the problem: the psqlodbc distribution is missing
files needed to build from source, ie, the reference to $PGSRC/config
in the directions. Since $PGSRC/config is also not installed by
Postgres packages, this leaves RPM packagers unable to build psqlodbc
according to the rules. The whole thing seems like bad practice anyway,
since it's unclear which version of the Postgres sources needs to be
used to build any particular psqlodbc release.