Re: Nasty btree deletion bug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nasty btree deletion bug
Date: 2006-10-26 19:07:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Right, but _bt_getstackbuf is working from a search stack created by
> a standard search for the victim page's high key. If that search
> descended through a page to the right of the victim page's actual
> parent, _bt_getstackbuf isn't able to recover.

What I'm tempted to do, at least in the back branches, is simply adjust
_bt_pagedel to be able to recover from _bt_getstackbuf failure in this
scenario. It could use the same method that _bt_insert_parent does in
the concurrent-root-split case, ie (untested):

ItemPointerSet(&(stack->bts_btentry.t_tid), target, P_HIKEY);
pbuf = _bt_getstackbuf(rel, stack, BT_WRITE);
if (pbuf == InvalidBuffer)
+ {
+ /* Find the leftmost page at the next level up */
+ pbuf = _bt_get_endpoint(rel, opaque->btpo.level + 1, false);
+ stack->bts_blkno = BufferGetBlockNumber(pbuf);
+ stack->bts_offset = InvalidOffsetNumber;
+ _bt_relbuf(rel, pbuf);
+ /* and repeat search from there */
+ pbuf = _bt_getstackbuf(rel, stack, BT_WRITE);
+ if (pbuf == InvalidBuffer)
elog(ERROR, "failed to re-find parent key in \"%s\"",
RelationGetRelationName(rel));
+ }
parent = stack->bts_blkno;
poffset = stack->bts_offset;

The question is whether we want a cleaner answer for future development,
and if so what that answer ought to look like. It seems like the
alternatives we've been discussing may not end up any simpler/shorter
than the current code, and it seems hard to justify giving up some
concurrency in the name of a simplification that doesn't simplify much.
Thoughts?