Re: Transactions and "create or replace function"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transactions and "create or replace function"
Date: 2005-04-23 23:41:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com> writes:
> I would have expected that since the CREATE OR REPLACE was
> in a separate connection, and hense a separate transaction,
> that all the results of the select() will have been processed
> by the same function.

System catalog accesses are generally done with SnapshotNow semantics
--- in particular, lookups for function definitions will be done that
way. Although the PL languages all cache function definitions, they go
out of their way to verify that the cache is still up-to-date each time
it is used. I don't recall the exact example that made us conclude we
had to act that way, but it's unlikely to be changed.