Re: PostgreSQL cross-reference using LXR

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Joe Conway" <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>,"pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL cross-reference using LXR
Date: 2002-03-26 07:16:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>> http://www.joeconway.com/lxr.pgsql/
>>
>> It just needs apache, perl, glimpse, agrep, and a small amount of
>> configuration (and of course a fresh copy of cvs tip).

I've long used glimpse + an emacs macro for searching the sources.
LXR seems to add little to the glimpse engine except for an unreliable
gloss on what the references are --- for entertainment try searching
on a common local variable name, eg
http://www.joeconway.com/lxr.pgsql/ident?i=relname
(I think I'd better look for myself instead of trust this).

Another problem is that actually examining each reference is ungodly
painful in LXR --- I don't even see *how* to visit multiple references
in a single file, and you certainly can't visit a bunch of 'em without
lots of mousing-around.  Never mind editing each one once you've found
it.

Think I'll stick with Control-x backquote ...