Re: Path to enable a module to change the stack_base_ptr

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>,"pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Path to enable a module to change the stack_base_ptr
Date: 2005-10-13 17:43:08
Lists: pgsql-patches
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I'm not really in favor of this ... I think you are trying to make the
>>> backend do something that will never work reliably.

> Do we want to make this change for 8.1?

I don't want to do it at all.  The justification given is to allow the
backend to support multithreading introduced by an add-on library, which
is a hopeless cause.  Removing "static" from that variable declaration
is surely a cheap enough change, but what about the next request, and
the one after that?