Re: Undead record haunts my database, need exorcism

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kevin Sterner <sterner(at)hep(dot)upenn(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Undead record haunts my database, need exorcism
Date: 2002-05-22 14:02:27
Lists: pgsql-novice
Kevin Sterner <sterner(at)hep(dot)upenn(dot)edu> writes:
> My PostgreSQL 6.5.3 database is having a serious problem.

6.5.3?  You are past due for an update ...

> Lately, however, the entries in "sets" and "dblock" have gotten badly out
> of joint.  New records disappear, in "sets", while new records in "dblock"
> revert to old, deleted ones that can't be re-deleted.

Hmm.  How large is your pg_log file?  I suspect that you have suffered
transaction ID wraparound.  If the pg_log file is 1Gb in size (enough
to store commit bits for 4 billion transactions) that would confirm the
suspicion.

Whether that's the problem or not, 6.5.3 is enough features and bugfixes
ago that I would wholeheartedly recommend an immediate update to 7.2.1.