Re: create tablespace fails silently, or succeeds improperly

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: create tablespace fails silently, or succeeds improperly
Date: 2010-10-18 19:02:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> Perhaps we should fix the behavior rather than the documentation.

> We can't fix the behavior because we have to allow an old cluster to
> keep its tablespace files during a pg_upgrade.  They are given a script
> to delete those files later, if they want.

The new *layout* of the files may be forced by pg_upgrade
considerations, but I don't think that proves much of anything about
ownership and permissions settings --- especially not the fact that we
are now enforcing settings that were designed for the data directory
itself on what is effectively one level up from that.