Re: maths functions and spreadsheet

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>, e-letter <inpost(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: maths functions and spreadsheet
Date: 2008-01-29 01:32:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- On Mon, 1/28/08, e-letter <inpost(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> For example:
>
> spreadsheet with cells of a formula such as:
>
> sum=((database 1 table 1, row 2 colum 3)*(spreadsheet cell
> a1)/(database 2 table 2, row 3 column 4))-exp (spreadsheet
> cell b2))
>
> Or must I perform all computations in the database and then
> create some sort of report to display the results?

If these are the type of calculations that you want to preform, you are probably better off sticking with a spreadsheet.

Database *can* provide sophisticated calculations for analysis. But useful calculations are possible when a well designed relational model implement in a database. It is the model that provides the mechanism for analyzing the data stored in the database.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.