Re: Bug #612: PostgreSQL 7.2 does not build according to documentation under IRIX w/ MIPSpro

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jp(at)celestrion(dot)net, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #612: PostgreSQL 7.2 does not build according to documentation under IRIX w/ MIPSpro
Date: 2002-03-18 06:06:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs
pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:
> Ignore my submission about sh-vs-bash in configure.  Configure is still broken (doesn't set HAVE_SNPRINTF_DECL properly), and the resulting tree still doesn't build under IRIX with MIPSpro ($CC accidentally got reset to gcc between tries).

A lot of this looks like problems with configure using the wrong cpp
to do C preprocessor tests.  In particular the syntax errors in the
include/catalog files suggest that configure's conclusion that you
have pre-ANSI preprocessing:
	> checking for preprocessor stringizing operator... no
is wrong.  I see
	> checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
and I wonder whether /lib/cpp is actually equivalent to /usr/bin/cc's
preprocessing.  Does /usr/bin/cc accept a -E switch?  If so, why didn't
configure use that?  (Do you maybe have CPP=/lib/cpp in your
environment?)

Also, where did configure come by all these switches for cc:

> checking whether the C compiler (/usr/bin/cc -O3 -I/usr/freeware/include -L/usr/freeware/lib32 -L/usr/lib32) works... yes

Bottom line is that I suspect configure is being misled by some of
your environment settings.  But another possibility is that
src/makefiles/Makefile.irix5 is doing something inappropriate.
In particular I wonder why it has
	override CPPFLAGS += -U_NO_XOPEN4
Is this (still) appropriate for IRIX?  If so, perhaps it needs to be
done in src/template/irix5 instead (so that configure will see it)?