Re: realloc suggestion

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: realloc suggestion
Date: 2001-01-23 01:06:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz> writes:
> I again a little look at aset code and I probably found small performance
> reserve in small chunks (chunk <= ALLOC_CHUNK_LIMIT) reallocation.

Hmm. I wouldn't have thought that realloc got called often enough to be
worth optimizing, but it does seem to get called a few hundred times
during the regress tests, so maybe it's worth a little more code to do
this. (Looks like most of the realloc calls come from enlargeStringInfo
while dealing with long query strings --- since in this case the string
buffer is the only thing yet allocated in QueryContext, the special-case
check wins.)

I've committed this change. Thanks for the suggestion!