Re: BUG #5343: Documentation error for pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Rob Dean" <rob(dot)dean(at)pressassociation(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5343: Documentation error for pg_dump
Date: 2010-02-23 16:58:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Rob Dean" <rob(dot)dean(at)pressassociation(dot)com> writes:
> The information on reordering at restore time is surely completely
> contradictory between the two. The 8.4 documentation is the same.

I'm sure that discrepancy goes way back :-(.

Some experimentation indicates that you can reorder some things but not
others --- in particular you can't pull two TABLE DATA sections from a
tar archive out-of-order. So it might be that someone thought the
restriction had been fixed based on limited testing, and changed one
of the items but missed the other.

I'll see about improving it.