Re: DB Cluster hanging

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nigel Bishop" <Nigel(dot)Bishop(at)ioko(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB Cluster hanging
Date: 2005-10-13 17:18:23
Lists: pgsql-admin
"Nigel Bishop" <Nigel(dot)Bishop(at)ioko(dot)com> writes:
> Hmm...  a possible bug eh!  I'll make sure that the log destination
> doesn't fill again

> This is what I have in the postgresql.conf file:

> log_destination = 'stderr'
> redirect_stderr = true

I tried to reproduce the problem, without any success.  What I did:
* set up a small loopback filesystem, so I didn't have to actually fill
  my whole disk;
* point Postgres logging into the loopback filesystem;
* deliberately fill the filesystem.

I didn't see any lockup.  The syslogger subprocess started bleating on
the original postmaster stderr:
	could not write to log file: No space left on device
	could not write to log file: No space left on device
but it dropped the messages rather than hanging up, and the rest
of the database sailed on just fine.  When I freed up space on the
loopback filesystem, logging resumed without any problem.

So I dunno what went wrong for you.  System-specific issue maybe?
I tried this on Fedora Core 4 with CVS-tip Postgres (but the syslogger
code hasn't changed materially since 8.0.2).

Also, are you sure the postmaster is 8.0.3?  There was an
infinite-recursion-on-error bug in syslogger in 8.0 and 8.0.1.