Re: Performance issue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pascal Van Puymbroeck <pascal(dot)vanpuymbroeck(at)zenonproductions(dot)be>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance issue
Date: 2005-02-05 16:53:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Pascal Van Puymbroeck <pascal(dot)vanpuymbroeck(at)zenonproductions(dot)be> writes:
> I would like to solve a strange behaviour I encountered using Postgresql
> 8.0.1 on windows. Connecting to the database is OK, but when running a
> query to the database, its terribly slow. The fact is that I need the
> database to be running on the same machine, my application is.

There was a recent thread that came to the conclusion that loopback TCP
connections are remarkably slow on Windows unless you've installed the
correct add-on package --- something not tremendously obvious, I think
it was a "QOS" patch or maybe something to do with packet filtering.
Check the archives of the various pgsql lists. I forget which list but
it was just a couple weeks ago.