Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?
Date: 2009-12-01 22:14:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> What I was trying to suggest was that right now, there are situations
> where a new deployment on 8.1 is still completely reasonable and
> possible to justify in the Enterprise Linux space, whereas I don't know
> of any situation where 7.4/8.0 can be similarly defended as a good
> idea.

Okay, but how much of the argument for that hinges on it being the only
thing Red Hat will support on RHEL5?

> Moving forward, I was hoping that we all get RHEL6 as a deployment
> option in the not so distant future for a platform that integrates 8.4
> from day one; I didn't think that deploying RHEL5 was going to be the
> only choice for too much longer.

I don't believe I'm allowed to say anything about RHEL6 release
schedules.  However, if you are paying attention to what has shipped in
recent Fedora releases, it's not hard to figure out that it will have
PG >= 8.4.