Re: Command Triggers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Command Triggers
Date: 2011-12-04 16:34:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I have two questions now:

> First, does anybody think it would be worth getting rid of the duplication
> from OpenIntoRel (formerly from execMain.c) in regard to DefineRelation()?

That's probably reasonable to do, since as you say it would remove the
opportunity for bugs-of-omission in the CTAS table creation step.
OTOH, if you find yourself having to make any significant changes to
DefineRelation, then maybe not.

> Secondly, I am currently wondering whether it would be a good idea to use the
> ModifyTable infrastructure for doing the insertion instead an own DestReceiver
> infrastructure thats only used for CTAS.

I think this is probably a bad idea; it will complicate matters and buy
little.  There's not a lot of stuff needed for the actual data insertion
step, since we know the table can't have any defaults, constraints,
triggers, etc as yet.