Re: Postgres replication: dump/restore, PITR, Slony,...?

From: Shaul Dar <shauldar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres replication: dump/restore, PITR, Slony,...?
Date: 2009-06-12 11:27:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

All right, so I misspelled Bucardo (also Mammoth...), and the company's name
is Command Prompt (please get someone to work on that incomprehensible logo
- I went back and looked at it and still have no clue what it means :-).

Now how about some serious answers relating to my questions?

Dimitri, thanks for your answer. I don't need to replicate TO the staging
server (this is where the changes happen) but rather FROM the staging server
TO the Web (query) servers. I think my description wasn't clear enough.
Currently the staging DB changes daily as new records are inserted to it
(would have liked to use COPY instead, but I believe that's only useful for
bulk loading the whole DB, not appending to it?). Those changes need to be
reflected on the Web servers. Today this is done via dump-copy files-restore
of the whole DB (we shut down each Web server DB while restoring it,
obviously), and I we are looking for a better way.

I would truly appreciate specific suggestions and pointers/references ("some
trigger based asynchronous replication" doesn't help much...).

Also is my understanding of PITR limitations correct?

Thanks,

-- Shaul