Re: simple update closes connection. why?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: joseph speigle <joe(dot)speigle(at)jklh(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: simple update closes connection. why?
Date: 2004-02-01 21:35:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

joseph speigle <joe(dot)speigle(at)jklh(dot)us> writes:
> okay. I"m making progress here. :) I want to know if I should just delete the oid that's too very large?
> because, I can issue a select up to row 1100. So, Select * from calling limit 1100 returns all rows, whereas
> select * from calling limit 1101 kills the process.

Okay, so you have a corrupted tuple --- from the evidence so far I'd
guess that the length word of the first column in that row is clobbered.
The wacky OIDs in some of the other rows look like data corruption too.

At this point my thoughts are heading in the direction of hardware
problems. Have you tried running any memory or disk diagnostics?
memtest86 and badblocks seem to be the most widely used tests.